The Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is set to give the military training of some of his military personnel, after the country’s top court said on Wednesday it would issue a writ of mandate to grant the order.
“There is no other way.
I have ordered them to be given the training,” Duterte told reporters on Wednesday.
“It is a matter of public interest.”
The writ of authority would be issued within 90 days and would require the approval of the countrys top court, which would also be given a mandate to issue the writ of authorization.
Duterte’s move comes after a long-running standoff between the government and the armed forces over the issue of their role in the drug war, which has seen the military have to take on some of the main duties in dealing with the drug menace.
It is the second time in as many weeks the military has sought to give preferential treatment to the armed force in the war against drugs.
Earlier this month, Duterte also announced the creation of a National Guard, with a budget of P2 billion (US$7 million) to be used to boost the country s security forces.
Duterte has previously said the National Guard would be used for the rehabilitation of the armed groups that had turned against the government.
But his government has said the military will not be involved in fighting drug gangs.